Struggling to increase traffic to your website?
Have tried everything you know to drive traffic but nothing works?
Trust me, I know the struggle.
But don’t worry! There are a lot of ways to increase traffic to your website.
That too for Free.
In this article, I am going to discuss each and every strategy that the pro-bloggers use to attract readers and keep them coming back.
Before we start discussing the strategies, let me tell you one thing.
Increasing traffic to your website will take time. You can’t just implement the strategies and wake up the very next day and get 10000 visitors on your website.
That’s not possible. So, it’s important to stay patient.
Believe me, if you implement these strategies, you’ll notice an increase in your website traffic within a few days.
I have generated thousands of visitors to my blog by following these methods.
How to Increase Traffic to Your Website
Without further ado, let’s get straight to the 31 proven hacks to increase traffic to your website:
- How to Increase Traffic to Your Website
- 1. Publish Useful Content- that Answers Questions
- 2. Implement Best SEO Practices
- 3. Write Catchy & Attention-grabbing Headlines
- 4. Follow Technical SEO Best Practices
- 5. Publish List Posts
- 6. Revise and Update Old Blog posts
- 7. Target Long-tail Keywords
- 8. Repurpose your Content on other Platforms
- 9. Make Sure your site is Responsive & Mobile-Friendly
- 10. Target topics with Search Traffic Potential
- 11. Publish Long-form & Evergreen Content
- 12. Answer Questions on Quora
- 13. Drive Traffic from Pinterest
- 14. Utilize Social Media to Get Traffic
- 15. Publish Viral Content
- 16. Use Twitter to Drive Traffic
- 18. Drive Traffic from Facebook
- 19. Add Social Share Buttons on your Site
- 20. Optimize Content using LSI Keywords
- 21. Start Email Marketing
- 22. Use Infographics
- 23. Write Guest Posts
- 24. Use Blogger Outreach to Promote your Site
- 25. Create Content on Medium
- 26. Create a YouTube Channel
- 27. Use LinkedIn to share Content
- 28. Write Comments on other Niche Relevant Sites
- 29. Add Internal Links
- 30. Promote your Content in Relevant online communities & Forums
- 31. Go After Referral Traffic
- FAQ on How to increase Website Traffic
- Wrap Up
1. Publish Useful Content- that Answers Questions
You can’t rule in google rankings without great and valuable content.
Publish valuable content on our site so that your visitors will come back for more. Additionally, if your content is helpful, your visitors will engage more on your website and share it with others.
So, find a question that a lot of people are asking online that hasn’t been answered well on any other website. It can be anything like a list post, article, solution, etc, but relevant to your niche.
Write a blog post and answer that question well.
The main point is: Google and other search engines are there to help people find relevant answers to their questions.
If your content fulfills the user’s search intent i.e solves the query then Google will send traffic to your site.
Now the question is, how do you find such questions?
Also, there are other different ways to search the questions. One of the simplest is to use Google search.
Once you’ve compiled a list of questions, you can create useful content using this simple method:
- Do some keyword research to locate a question that is frequently asked.
- Write an article that provides an answer to that query.
- Follow SEO best practices.
- Make sure that the word count is enough to provide a complete solution to the question.
- Eliminate the mistakes from article.
- Publish and share it.
2. Implement Best SEO Practices
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is so far the most effective way to generate constant traffic to your website.
Even the highest quality content won’t be enough to rank if you’ve ignored SEO.
SEO is the process of optimizing your blog posts to improve their search engine rankings and drive more organic traffic.
If you do your on-page SEO correctly, you can easily rank your blog post on the first page of google.
That sounds amazing!
How to do that?
Let me explain how to increase traffic to your website by doing On-Page SEO in simple words.
On-page SEO means optimizing your titles, meta-description, and images, etc.
To rank higher in Google, you should write about the topics people are searching for (discussed in point 1). However, to get the most out of SEO, optimize your site for search engines.
Here are some most important rules of On-page SEO that you should implement to increase traffic to your website and improve your search engine rankings:
a) Title Tag
The title tag is the header of any web page. The H1, H2 tags make it easier for the Google crawler to find your primary keywords.
Therefore, ensure that you optimize your title tag.
Meta-description defines what the page is all about. It displays below the blog posts title in search engines.
If you have properly optimized your meta-description, it will help in:
- Higher click-through rate (CTR)
- Help readers to get an idea about blog topic
c) Write quality content
Content rules the search engines. So, always write helpful and engaging content.
It will help you get better reader engagement which results in high Google rankings and you’ll get more traffic.
d) Image Optimization
Optimize images on your blog to maximize the results of SEO.
Image optimization has a number of advantages, including the following:
- High Google rankings.
- Increased engagement on your content.
- Attracts backlinks.
3. Write Catchy & Attention-grabbing Headlines
Headlines are the most important part of your content. The first thing that users see in Google search results is the headline of a blog post.
If the headline isn’t compelling enough, even the most comprehensive blog post may go unnoticed. So, focus on writing a compelling headline before you hit publish.
Catchy blog titles that instantly grab the attention, increase your organic click-through rate (CTR) which results in higher SERP rankings.
And greater search rankings mean more traffic to your website. Yayyy!
Here are a few tips that you can follow while writing irresistible headlines:
- Use headline analyzers : You can use Sumo’s headline generator to help you write eye-catching headlines.
- SEO- optimised : Use focus keyword in your title.
- Examine your competitor’s headlines and notices how they write them.
- Keep it Clear and Easy to understand
- Use numbers at the beginning.
- Use powerful terms like “hidden”, “secret”, “unexposed”
Let’s dive right into our next tip point.
4. Follow Technical SEO Best Practices
Technical SEO is the process of optimizing your website for Google crawlers.
It plays an important role to increase traffic to your website.
If Google can’t find, crawl, and index your site, it will not rank. If it doesn’t rank means there will be no organic search traffic.
How Technical SEO is different from on-page SEO?
Technical SEO is more about the infrastructure of your website and less about the content.
Follow these best technical SEO practices to drive more traffic to your site:
- Use SEO-friendly CMS like WordPress.
- Make sure your website loads fast.
- Set up Google search console.
- Submit your site to all search engines.
- Set up your sitemap in XLM format.
- Install a SSL certificate (https)
- Keep your website structure and navigation easy to access.
- Optimise 404 pages and redirect 301 errors.
5. Publish List Posts
List posts are a great way to drive traffic to your site.
A list post is an article that is written in a structured list format. It may include a variety of reasons, suggestions, approaches, etc.
According to buzz sumo analysis, list posts outperformed all other types of content forms.
List posts drive more visitors to your website because numbers have a “psychological effect” on the public.
Moreover, list posts are easy to scan.
On average, list posts get 6 times more shares than how-to posts and 40 times more than infographics.
Apart from the fact that you’re reading a list post that generates a lot of traffic for my site, here are a few other list posts that are driving traffic to my site.
6. Revise and Update Old Blog posts
SEO is not a one-time task. Even if you’re currently ranking high for your target keyword, your competitors may attempt to steal that spot. Additionally, if your content becomes outdated, your ranking can be downgraded by Google.
To maintain your rankings, you have to keep your content fresh and up to date.
This simple strategy can drive traffic to your site.
You probably have many blog posts on your site that you’ve published earlier and need some attention to generate more search traffic.
Here is how to do it:
a) Firstly,find outdated Posts
Identify the posts that are no longer ranking or hovering at the bottom of Google’s first page or near the top of Google’s second page.
These posts have the potential to rank better with some improvements done.
b) After that, update and improve that post.
But how can you improve that posts?
Identify what top-ranking posts have that you don’t. Outdated content can drop your rankings.
Here are a few tips to improve your Google rankings:
- Add new points and tips.
- Delete any old techniques that doesn’t work anymore.
- Update images and screenshots etc.
- Improve your introduction and copywriting.
- Embed links to and from other articles.
- Remove any broken links.
c) Lastly, update the post.
This technique helps you rank higher and increase traffic to your website. Google loves fresh and updated content. It will improve your CTR.
With that, it’s time for our next strategy.
7. Target Long-tail Keywords
Have you covered the topics that have the potential for search traffic?
Now, it’s time to target long-tail keywords.
Long-tail keywords are 3+ words and more specific keyword phrases about the information you’re providing on your blog.
You might wonder, how to use Long-tail keywords to drive traffic to your site?
The majority of web search queries include searches with long-tail keywords, which means you’ll miss out on a lot of potential traffic if you’re not targetting long-tail keywords.
That users are more likely to use while searching on the internet.
Additionally, Longtail keywords are usually easier to rank for. (because they are less competitive).
Here’s how you find long-tail keywords:
- Google Autocomplete : Type your primary keyword or topicc and let Google suggest what others are searching for.
- People Also Ask: Have a look at people also ask box to find other long tail keywords related to the topic.
- Related Searches : Use related searches located at the bottom of google search page to find related long tail keywords.
8. Repurpose your Content on other Platforms
If you’ve invested significant time and effort in creating a piece of content, don’t abandon it after you hit publish.
Extend its shelf life. Reuse your old content by repurposing it in different formats on other platforms. It works like magic to drive traffic to your site.
It’ll help you reach a new audience on other platforms.
After all, people consume content in different ways. Some prefer blogs while others prefer videos or infographics.
Repurpose your content across your blogs and social media channels. Try to get as much value as you can from one piece of content.
You can reuse your existing blog post in a different format (like an ebook, video, infographics, etc.). Here are a few ideas for content repurposing:
- Convert your blog post into a video.
- Create an infographic (they are highly sharable)
- Repurpose long blog posts into Twitter threads.
- Pinterest pins
- Quora answers
9. Make Sure your site is Responsive & Mobile-Friendly
Now more people are using mobile devices to access the internet.
Internet browsing has shifted away from Desktop pcs and onto smartphones and tablets.
Google counts the mobile version of your site before counting the desktop version.
In simple words, Google prioritizes the mobile version of your website.
How do you know whether your site is mobile optimized or not?
Well, Google has a free tool to help you do that: the mobile-friendly test.
This tool also gives you suggestions for specific changes that you can do to further optimize your site.
So, optimize your site for mobile to increase traffic to your website.
10. Target topics with Search Traffic Potential
What’s the purpose of writing content that no one reads?
You probably want every article to drive consistent traffic even after years.
So, write about the topics that have the potential for search traffic.
SEO is the most effective strategy to get drive traffic to your site. For that, you need to maintain the high Google rankings.
So, write about relevant and popular topics that people are searching for.
Here are two quick ways to find topics with search traffic potential :
- Find low competitive keywords with high search volume.
- Find keywords with low difficulty level – easy to rank.
You can use Google trends to find such keywords.
11. Publish Long-form & Evergreen Content
Long-form content generates maximum results.
Because it gets more shares and backlinks than content under 1000 words. That results in driving more traffic to your site.
Write articles that fulfil the user’s search intent. Try to provide detailed solutions to your readers.
Let’s talk about Evergreen content.
It’s the content that remains relevant long after it has been published. It generates a consistent flow of search traffic, social shares, and leads.
For example, this post about how to increase traffic to your website is evergreen and long-form content.
Here are the reasons why you should write long-form and evergreen content:
- Longer content ranks higher than the short articles.
- Generates more social shares.
- Increases the overall engagement.
12. Answer Questions on Quora
Getting traffic from Quora is quite like hitting jackpot. You all know that Quora is a question-and-answer site where anyone can ask or answer questions.
The real question is: Does it help to send traffic to your site?
The answer is YES.
Here is how to use Quora to increase traffic to your website:
1) Find the right questions to answer – that are relevant to your niche.
TIP: Just enter a keyword in the search bar and quora will suggest related topics
2) Provide Solutions:
Provide valuable solutions in your answers to establish your authority in the niche.
Embed links to relevant content where it makes sense.
However, don’t spam.
Because Quora moderators can remove your answers if they find that you’re only there to direct traffic to your site.
3) Write high-quality answers:
If you want people to read, upvote, and share your answers then focus on writing compelling answers.
Thankfully, we have the AIDA technique:
Attention: Grab their attention with something catchy yet relevant.
Interest: Describe some facts, benefits, etc
Desire: Create a desire to know more.
Action: Encourage them to take action.
You can also try out these other Q&A sites and follow the same techniques to drive traffic to your site:
13. Drive Traffic from Pinterest
Pinterest is an excellent way to drive traffic to your blog.
SEO takes time to give results but by using Pinterest you can drive traffic to your site from day 1.
Here are some other benefits of using Pinterest:
- Pins have a longer lifetime.
- Pins get more shares over time.
- Helps to grow your audience (in terms of followers)
Here are some tips that you can follow to drive traffic to your site from Pinterest :
- Create a Business account on Pinterest (to get access to Pinterest analytics)
- Claim your website on Pinterest to get verified.
- Create pin-worthy images (right size & include text) and link them to your website’s content.
- Write detailed, informative, actionable and keyword rich description for each Pin.
- Pin at the busy hours.
- Join Pinterest’s group boards that are relevant to your niche.
14. Utilize Social Media to Get Traffic
Social media plays an important role to drive traffic to your site. Get the maximum out of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linked In, etc.
Your network is your net worth.Tim Sanders
Here’s a mistake a lot of people make:
They share content on social media, without giving people any reason to click.
Here are a few tips that I’ve learned to boost my CTR dramatically:
- Include a bullet list of points when you tweet out a new post.
- Add some extra pieces of inforamtion to get a lot of engagement and clicks.
Follow these tips to increase traffic to your website via social media:
1. Stay active on Social Media
- Optimize your social media profile.
- Provide your website’s link in bio.
- Create Interest and informative content in your niche.
- Interact with your audience.
2. Post at Strategic time to maximise the post reach
3. Analyze the Social Media Strategy of your Competitors
Spy on your competitor’s social media strategy to implement their tactics.
It is a great way to increase the traffic you get from social media.
Examine their strategies to see what works. Then, try to implement those methods and create similar types of content to drive more visitors to your site.
Here are a few social media competitor analysis tools you can use :
These tools will help you know which keywords they are using, who they are following and how often they post etc.
15. Publish Viral Content
Viral content can generate tons of traffic to your blog.
If any of your posts become viral, people will visit your website through that post and it’ll give a boost to your SERP rankings.
But the question arises, Is there any trick or formula to create viral content?
No, there is no such formula. Otherwise, everyone would do it.
With that said. Here are two steps that you can implement to spread your content like wildfire:
a) Viral material has a lot of images
Visuals can be images, infographics, and a video.
Use images in your content.
Studies show that image-rich content gets 90% more social shares than text-only content.
b) Viral content has a high utility factor
The content that is directly applicable to daily life has more chances of going viral.
16. Use Twitter to Drive Traffic
Twitter can generate a significant amount of traffic for your website. However, simply tweeting the title of your blog post with a link back to your site will not work.
You should put some effort to bring traffic from Twitter.
Follow these strategies to increase traffic to your website via Twitter:
- Write short and attention-grabbing tweets.
- Add statistics, quotes from the article you’re sharing.
- Use #hashtags and @ mentions
- Retweet the content that has mentioned you.
- Add images.
Add Click to Tweet links on your Website
Adding Click to Tweet links is one of the best methods to increase your content’s shareability.
Let’s have a better understanding of how Click To Tweet links function, here’s a demonstration:
1) Find something worth sharing in your material. In short, that is “tweetable” It can be a quick tip, strategy, quote, or stat.
2) Add a Click to Tweet button to create a link for social media sharing.
I addClick to Tweet links using the Socialsnap Pro plugin.
You can use ClickToTweet.com to add Click to Tweet links without using a plugin.
When someone clicks on that link, they will get a pre-written tweet for easy sharing.
18. Drive Traffic from Facebook
If used properly, Facebook can be turned into a highly effective marketing tool for your website.
Here’s how you can use Facebook to generate traffic to your site:
- Create a Facebook Page or a Facebook Group for your website.
- Post consistently.
- Share your blog posts on the page.
- Ask your followers questions.
- Use videos or creatre short tutorials.
- Engage with your audience.
- Join Facebook groups that are relevant to your niche.
19. Add Social Share Buttons on your Site
If you want to drive traffic to your site from social media, then make it easy for your visitors to share content on social media.
The more people who see your content and share it on social media, the more exposure you’ll get.
The simplest method to add social share buttons is to install a social media plugin.
I personally use and recommend the Social Snap Pro plugin. It is the best social media plugin in the market.
Here are the benefits of using Social Snap Pro:
- It has more advanced features than any other social sharing plugin.
- It is light-weight and provides high level of performance.
- It tracks the share counts and provides detailed statistics.
- You can hide your Pinterest pins with Social Snap Pro.
20. Optimize Content using LSI Keywords
LSI stands for “latent semantic indexing,” are words/phrases that are related to your primary keyword.
LSI stands for “latent semantic indexing,” are words/phrases that are related to your primary keyword.
After Google’s Hummingbird algorithm update, now Google is trying to understand the topic of your article.
So, use LSI keywords to help search engine crawlers to understand the topic. LTI keywords will help you get more traffic from google.
Use free tools like LSIgraph to find LTI keywords.
21. Start Email Marketing
Sometimes bloggers are so focused on the content marketing approach to attract new visitors that they forget the traditional marketing techniques.
E-marketing is a powerful tool. Other than driving traffic to your blog it also significantly improves your site’s popularity.
Benefits of using e-mail marketing:
- E-mail marketing is inexpensive but effective way to reach your audience.
- Your e-mail list is already interested in your content.
- You’ll get more sales and leads.
- E-mails drive targeted traffic to site.
Here are a few tips that you can follow to increase traffic via e-mail marketing:
- Start building a subscriber list.
- Keep your emails short and simple.
- Create attention-grabbing subject lines.
- Add a call to action (CTA).
- Don’t annoy your audience with too many emails.
You can use Convertkit for e-mail marketing. It is free for up to 1000 subscribers.
22. Use Infographics
There are certain things in your content that push people to share it.
For example, use infographics that people can share over and over again.
Infographics present data in a visually appealing and engaging format in order to engage and educate a broad audience.
Use it cleverly.
Create a clear and simple infographic to deliver information and make it readily available to your audience.
You’ll see amazing results.
23. Write Guest Posts
Guest posting isn’t dead!
A guest post on a reputable website can help to increase traffic to your website and build your brand authority.
However, guest post standards have changed dramatically over the last few years. Spammy links may lead to penalties.
So proceed with caution.
After all, who doesn’t want free traffic?
Guest posting is a marketing strategy in which you write for others’ blogs to get a link back (backlink) to your blog in exchange.
Benefits of guest posts :
- More refferal traffic to your website.
- More backlinks that can help you rank higher.
- Increases brand awareness.
The most challenging part of guest posting is to find blogs that are willing to accept your guest posts.
To tackle this issue, most of the bloggers use google search terms such as ‘write for us’ or ‘become a contributor’ pages to find such sites.
When you find such a website, pitch them to write a guest post.
Always write a provide high-quality and original article as your guest post.
Tip: Make sure your blog topic is relevant to that blog to generate traffic from it.
24. Use Blogger Outreach to Promote your Site
So, you’ve published an amazing article.
It’s time to spread the word about it by reaching out to other bloggers.
For that, find an influential blogger in your niche.
Use hunter to find the e-mail of the blogger.
Write an email to request them to share your post.
Mention Popular Influencers In Your Posts
All you have to do is mention prominent influencers in your blog post and notify them that you’ve done so.
They will share it with their audience if they find it useful and informative.
And this will help to increase traffic to your website.
25. Create Content on Medium
Medium.com is the best platform to write and republish your posts.
Medium is a community-driven website that promotes and recommends content based on its users’ interests.
Once you publish the post, share it on other platforms like Twitter, Facebook, etc.
You’ll get referral traffic from medium.com
Additionally, when your content gets a lot of attention on medium, they will promote it within their platform.
Here’s why should consider writing on Medium:
- It has the potential to send constant traffic back to your website.
- It already has highly engaged audience so you can easily build your authority with high quality content.
Additionally, you can try a few other sites similar to Medium where you can write:
26. Create a YouTube Channel
Want to increase traffic to your website?
Then, target Youtube audience because it is the 2nd largest search engine on the internet after Google.
Moreover, most people prefer to consume content in video form these days.
Here are a few tried and tested tips to get organic traffic from Youtube:
- Add a link of your website in your channel header.
- Share a pdf, e-book link in the desccription so that your viewers can visit your website to download that.
- Give a link to other resources and mention that in your videos.
- Promote your website through your videos.
27. Use LinkedIn to share Content
Linkedin is a great place to share content.
You can get a lot of targeted traffic from LinkedIn if you know how to make use of it.
Here are a few tips you can follow to drive traffic from LinkedIn:
- Optimize your LinkedIn profile.
- Participate in LinkedIn group discussions – to build new audience.
- Republish old articles on LinkedIn – excellent method of driving traffic to your site.
- Turned your long articles into LinkedIn articles.
28. Write Comments on other Niche Relevant Sites
You often visit sites that are relevant to your niche, so why not join the conversation?
While commenting does not always result in driving traffic, but becoming well known by writing smart, thought-provoking comments on industry blogs helps to get your name out there which results in increased traffic to your site.
Quality and relevancy of comments are important rather than dropping links on any website.
Your goal should be to engage with other bloggers in your niche.
29. Add Internal Links
The strength of your link profile is not limited to the no of websites that link back to you, it can also be influenced by internal linking structure.
Focus on including internal links while creating and publishing content.
Benefits of adding internal links:
- Make your website easier to navigate for people (and search engines).
- Distribute link juice and authority across your site.
30. Promote your Content in Relevant online communities & Forums
If you’re creating great content and just hope people will find it then you’re mistaken.
You have to actively promote your content in relevant communities and forums to increase traffic to your website.
Your network is your net worth.Tim Sanders
What do relevant communities mean?
Where your potential target audience hangs out on the web.
In order to get traffic to your site, join a few marketing forums. Help others with their queries. This will attract a lot of new readers to your blog.
You can find these communities anywhere on:
Well, sounds easy right?
Indeed it is.
Disclaimer: Don’t spam popular websites like Reddit and Medium to ‘hit the jackpot’ referral traffic, because it won’t happen.
Here are some tips to promote your website on forums:
- Choose the right forum in your niche.
- Pick your username carefully.
- Include a link to your website in your signature.
- Create your profile with care.
- Don’t spam
- Create high-quality content.
- Post frequently.
31. Go After Referral Traffic
If you don’t want to pitch other bloggers to link back to you then what?
Create high-value and useful content that others want to be linked to.
You’ll automatically get tons of backlinks from other bloggers.
And it will help you increase traffic to your website.
FAQ on How to increase Website Traffic
How to increase website traffic for free?
I’ve mentioned all the strategies on how to increase website traffic for free in this blog post.
How long does it take to drive organic traffic on a new blog?
SEO takes time to give results. However, you can focus on driving traffic from social media platforms and forums in the starting.
Congratulations if you made it this far. It takes a while to read such a long blog post.
I hope you find it insightful and implement these methods to increase traffic to your website.
Increasing traffic is not bound to one or two specific strategies. There are plenty of ways that you can follow in order to grow your blog’s traffic.
Many bloggers have seen a significant increase in traffic and conversions on their websites after implementing these techniques.
If you apply even a few of the strategies discussed in this article on your site, you’ll notice an inflow of traffic to your site.
Which strategies do you use to increase traffic to your websites? Let me know in the comments section below.
One more thing.
If you find these strategies helpful, do share them with your friends and on your social media accounts.